Chapel Rental Information:
Weddings $250 plus a $100 refundable deposit
Other rentals are $75/hour with a 2hr minimum $50/hour thereafter
Call the Smith's Chapel Historical Commission for more information 269-932-5242 EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
29858 Redfield Street
Niles, MI 49120
Located on Redfield Street between
Brush Road and Fir Road.
The Smith's Chapel Historical Commission is contracted to help maintain the building on behalf of Milton Township. The commission meets on the second Saturday of September, at 9 am. Meeting location is at the Chapel on Redfield St in Milton Township. The public is welcome to attend. For info, contact Ann Brown, 269-932-5242.
The area known as "Smith's Chapel" includes both a one-story, gable-roofed, wood frame chapel covered with clapboard siding and a four-and-one-half-acre (4 1/2) cemetery. The chapel features a gabled entrance with a transom surmounted by an oculus in front. Round-arch windows with wooden hood molds light the sanctuary. The chapel stands on a rubble fieldstone foundation. A gable-roof, clapboard-sided privy is located at the rear of the church. Milton Township owns the Chapel and a small portion of the area around the structure.
The larger cemetery area is owned and operated by a private non-profit organization (Smith's Chapel Cemetery, INC, Mich. Entity 727791). It contains stone (and one zinc) monuments. The grounds are partially contained within a modern chain-link fence. For more information on the cemetery call: 269-633-2948
Statement of Significance
Smith's Chapel is the oldest known church building in Cass County, and probably also the oldest in southwest Michigan. Built in 1840 by settlers on Beardsley's Prairie in what became Milton Township, the chapel is the most visible product of an early colonization of the area by settlers from Delaware. The work of Methodist circuit preachers lead to the organization of a church on July 1, 1839. Cannon and Charlotte Smith, formerly of Delaware, sold the land and donated liberally to build the chapel which was named in their honor. In 1879, contractor W. S. Beswick was hired to remodel and modernize the church. The adjoining cemetery grounds were purchased in 1872 and many remains and monuments of early settlers, including those of the Smiths, moved from family plots to this ground. The chapel is no longer used for regular worship, but is occasionally the site of weddings and funerals.
||William S. Beswick
|Period of Significance
||1826 - 1865
|State Register Listed
|Registry Type(s) Marker Erected
|National Register Listed